Links to recommended sites that has interesting or useful content about game design. Last time updated Jan 22, 2015
Interesting HTML5 Game Developers
- http://www.lessmilk.com/ Thomas Palef, author of “Discover Phaser”.
- http://jessefreeman.com/ Jesse Freeman, Gaming Evangelist, Author of various Game Development books
- http://www.photonstorm.com/ Richard Davey, Creator of the Phaser Engine
- http://phoboslab.org/ Dominic Szablewski, Creator of the Impact Engine
- http://enclavegames.com/ Andrzej Mazur, Founder of js13kGames
- http://www.truevalhalla.com/ Mathew, He’s doing lot of money with HTML5 games and will show you how.
- paleozoic.com Joe Morrow, Working on a cool HTML5 game “Olympia Rising”
Amazing Pixel Artists
- http://8bitbeard.de/ Johannes Kristmann, He’s making the art for the “Curious Expedition” game.
- http://johanvinet.tumblr.com/ Johan Vinet, Simply amazing true pixel art!
- http://rephildesign.tumblr.com/ Working on a cool HTML5 game “Olympia Rising”
- witchmarsh.tumblr.com Joe Conway, Pixel artists + Coder
Game Related Forums
- http://forums.tigsource.com/ The best game developers community around in my opinion
- http://www.html5gamedevs.com/ The biggest HTML5 game developers to date
Stores to sell your game
- https://www.humblebundle.com/store Store front and make Bundles regularly. They also offer widgets to sell your game through your site.
- http://itch.io/ Free and Premium model, perfect to showcase your game. It’s like a Bandcamp, but for games.
- http://store.steampowered.com Huge potential buyers for your game here. However there’s a 100USD fee and your game most be voted to get in.
- http://www.gog.com/ Curated games under their discretion. Is not easy that they accept games.
- http://www.desura.com/ Its a good start point to sell your game. Although there are not much potential for sales here.
Game Frameworks and Engines
- http://unity3d.com/ 3D and 2D very complete and expensive.
- https://www.yoyogames.com/studio Perfect for beginners and professionals
- Phaser Engine A popular Free HTML5 framework
Graphics and Image Manipulation Software
- Photoshop Most complete tool, my preferred one, great for pixel art. The learning curve may be too high though.
- http://www.aseprite.org/ Its a popular tool, pixel focused with a lot functionality.
- pixenapp.com/ A simple yet effective tool for pixel creation and animation for Mac OS.
- http://terriblegames.com/spriteSomething/ A very good app for your iPad. Supports animation creation.
- http://pixaki.com/ Another good choice for the Ipad. Animation creation is not supported yet.
- http://www.bfxr.net/ Make simple sounds for yourself.
- http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Free software for editing sound. Highly recommended.